Q: Why don't you sell insurance over the internet?

A: As a broker providing a personal service we like to guide you though the whole process from quotation to the issuing of the policy as well as dealing with any query afterwards.  This is so we can explain the policy conditions to you and do our best to identify your needs and ensure that the policy is right for you.  It is important that you are clear about what you are buying and that you are not being under or over-sold a product.  We pride ourselves on offering a personal service where you can talk to a human being rather than just pressing buttons on a computer.


Q: What do I do if I cannot contact you during your working hours?

A: As much as we like our office, there are times when we cannot alway be here!  If you do find we are closed please email us at midcountiesbrokers@yahoo.co.uk   Emails are checked daily even out of office hours and we will respond to you as soon as we can.


Q: What should I do if I change my motor vehicle when you are closed?

A: You should not drive your motor vehicle on the public highway without the necessary insurance cover required by law.   In the event that you are unable to give us the details of your new vehicle and we have not confirmed that you are covered you should take the vehicle off the road until insurance cover has been arranged.  You may be able to drive the vehicle under sellers traders policy but the responsibility is with you to ensure you are properly insured. 


Q: Can I drive someone elses vehicle under my own motor insurance?

A: You must check your insurance certificate (or with us) before you drive another vehicle under your own policy.   Not all policies allow you to drive other vehicles.  Having a comprehensive motor policy does not automatically entitle you to drive someone elses vehicle.   If you have the extension to drive other vehicles under your policy, cover will be third party only.  You should treat this as emergency cover only.   If you regularly drive someone elses car you should be added to their policy.  Your driving other vehicle extension only applies if that vehicle is owned and insured by someone else.  You may not be able to drive all types of vehicle under the extension-check first.  You may be limited to private cars only for example.  If in doubt check with us first.


Q: My son or daughter wants a car of their own but it is expensive to insure.  Can I insure it in my name?

A: The honest technical answer is yes but it is not recommended and you MUST declare who the owner of the vehicle is, who the main driver is and how many cars are at home.    The insurer will then charge the correct premium for the risk which may be just as high as if the young driver insured it themselves but remember you will be the one earning the no-claim bonus and not the young driver so in the long run they will not benefit.  If you fail to declare the true facts and declare yourself as the main user when, in fact, it is the young driver this will be classed as 'fronting' where the true nature of the risk is witheld to obtain a lower premium.   The policy will then be invalid and in the event of an accident you could be made to pay the claim yourself.


Q: My partner has had an accident in their own vehicle.  Should I declare it to my own insurers?

A: Anyone who is insured to drive your car under your policy must have all accidents, claims and convictions declared even if they were driving another vehicle at the time.  All disabilities must also be declared.


Q: My friend is driving a car that has had many modifications done to it but says they don't need to tell the insurance company because the car doesn't go any faster.  Is this correct?

A: No!  The insurer must be told of all modifications made to the car after manufacture.  Some will be more important than others in varying the premium or acceptance of the risk.  For instance any modification which increases the performance, enhances its value or gives the appearance of increased performance will be treated seriously by the insurer.  Examples of this could be engine modifications, larger wheels, body kits or badging.     Other modifications such as fitting a sunroof will not be considered as serious but should still be declared.  If in doubt declare it anyway.


Q: The previous owner of my house had some structural problems but they were all fully repaired.  Do I have to tell my insurers about it?

A: Yes!  It is vital that your current insurer knows about any structural problems with the house, any previous floods or any extensions that have been added.  Failure to do so could invalidate your policy.


Q: My boiler burst and has flooded my room.  Can I claim? 

A: If you have valid insurance your policy will pay for the 'consequential' damage caused the water that has escaped from the boiler as this is called fixed aperatus.  It will not pay for the repair to the boiler itself if the boiler has simply failed due to age, wear and tear etc.  Policies will usually pay for escape of water from non-fixed aperatus like portable water containers and posts etc if you have accidental damage added to your policy.  The boiler itself may be covered if it was damaged by an external cause.


Q: I have rain damage in my house caused by a leaky roof.  Can I claim.

A:  You may not be able claim to if the rain has been coming in over a period of time due to general age, wear and tear.  The responsibility to maintain your house in a good condition is yours.  If the rain came in following a storm and this can be verified then your insurer should agree to pay out under the storm section.  Remember that any claim arising from general degredation, wear and tear would not normally be covered.


Q: A neighbours tree is very close to my house and I am worried about damage.  What should I do?

A: Politely notify your neighbour of your concerns and notify your own insurer.    If your neighbour fails to act he/she could then be considered negligent in the event of a claim.  If the tree roots cause subsidence your own home insurer should pay but they will then want to claim the money back from your neighbour.  If any damage is caused by the branches this may not be insured and you would have to pursue the claim yourself.  If the tree fell on your house this would normally be covered by your own home insurer who would then look to claim the money back from your neighbour.  We recommend Family Legal Protection cover which would provide you with legal advice regarding disputes of this nature.  Ask us for details.


Q: What happens if I drive through a flood and the engine breaks down?

A: The air intake for an engine is usually low down and even driving through quite shallow water can cause water to be sucked into the engine causing catostrophic damage.  If you have comprehensive cover this would normally be covered under your policy but not if you only have third party, fire & theft etc. 


Q: Insurance companies don't like paying out do they?

A: We only deal with honest reputable insurers.  We are here to help you and in the event of a problem we will fight the insurer for you.  However, the need for this is extremely rare.  An insurer will pay where cover is valid.  They won't pay for something that is not covered.  In fairness we find that most disputes we hear about elsewhere arise out of misunderstanding.  This is why we like to take the time to explain the details to you so you understand what you are covered for and to identify your requirements.  


This page is frequently updated.  If you have any questions or suggestions for this page please let us know.